Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Leatherneck Cocktail


I had never heard of this until it was introduced to me by close friends, who also happen to be avid appreciators of the mixed drink. I have to admit, when they listed off the ingredients, it sounded like a revolting combination. The color, however, was hypnotic like the cerulean seas of Greece. Or something like that. And it tasted marvelous!


"Leatherneck" is slang for a member of the Marines. The following is lifted from the DrinkGal website:
Created in 1951 by a former Marine and New York World Telegram columnist, Frank Farrell. Ted Haigh found this cocktail in the book "Bottoms Up" by Ted Saucier, and Saucier quoted Farrell as giving instructions for this cocktail, saying "Shake violently on the rocks and serve in a cocktail glass... Stop smoking. Fasten your seat belts. Empty your fountain pens. Because after two gulps, you'll seriously consider yourself capable of straightening out Chinese fire drills." 
Of course, the name is from the term "Leatherneck" which referred to Marines who used to wear a high leather collar in the Revolutionary War to protect their necks from swords.
The other night I tried my hand at the Leatherneck Cocktail. My willing spouse and I had to see that color again. I needed to refresh my memory of the taste. I bought some blue curaçao (same taste as orange curaçao, except colored bright blue) and some limes. We were off and running. After a few of these, you'll be ready for a risky mission of some sort.

The Leatherneck Cocktail
  • 2 oz rye whiskey (I use Rittenhouse 100-proof rye)
  • 3/4 oz blue curaçao
  • 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
Shake with vigor and strain into a chilled cocktail glass - any glass you have that will show off the fine coloring of this delightful adult beverage. You can garnish with a lime wheel, but actually I prefer not to and advise against it. Despite appearing in the pictures here, I think the garnish messes with the serene beauty of the drink.

1 comment:

Tasting notes? Suggestions? Please share your thoughts...